0

From the first week

Posted by Teresa Ulrich on 4:38 PM
On Tuesday, I met John, Fon, and Pranote and Pasahn and they showed me around the music floor. Then we went for a delightful lunch at a restaurant on the river (its name means literally “On the river”). They dishes we ate were all quite delicious. The pineapple is quite heavenly. Much sweeter than what we have in America! “Maybe this won’t be so bad after all!” I remember thinking. The music professors are also very delightful. They are very close, like brothers. John likes to drink beer with every meal. They told me that they want this to be like my home. I have enjoyed it so far, that’s for sure!

After that, Fon took me to exchange my money. They had taught me how to say thank you (kob-kun ), and I said that to the nice man who exchanged my money. He told Fon that I have very good diction and I am very polite. Fon took me to buy a cell phone and a bilingual map so I can find my way around. He had to change the settings on my phone to English because everything was in Thai. Then he took me to the Ministry of Health (a district within the city) because his mother had to go to the hospital and she needed her ID card. After that I came back to my hotel to sleep for the night.

On Wednesday, I went to my office to talk about my assignment with Fon. I LOVE it! On Mondays, I will teach an English for Music class from 13:00-15:30 (1 – 3:30 PM). On Tuesday mornings I will teach a chorus from 8:30-11 AM. I will also be responsible for meeting with students to “advise” them if they have any problems and scheduling rehearsals for the choir outside of class time to prepare for a concert in March. Eventually I will create a workshop for the choral directors in the area. Fon wants me to sing for another concert of his, and possibly conduct his choir.

I met some of the students. They don’t seem all that different from American students in that they like to hang out together and make jokes. More on them later!

I went to lunch with the music professors again. We went to Mr. Yao’s, which happens to be Dr. Kilp’s favorite restaurant. It’s not hard to see why it’s his favorite. The food was delicious! I even tried some of the spicy dishes. One thing that I’m learning about Thai food is that you dip everything in something. :)

In the evening I went with Betsy Frank (who teaching in the College of Nursing at ISU) to a small café-type restaurant and had stirfry chicken with garlic. VERY good! I even tried some of her stirfry beef with basil, and accidentally ate one of the chili peppers. SPICY!!!! Then I had some coconut ice cream. It tastes very different from our concept of coconut. Rai, the shop owner, was very polite. She likes to practice her English with her patrons. As we walked down the alley, the smell from the food carts was very overwhelming. Betsy bought me some popcorn.

I have some videos from these days, but I am having difficulty uploading them. I will work on getting those up. :)

Thursday:

So…. I think if there were an award for the “Best Farong,” I would totally win it.



Today I met some of the students. While I was waiting to meet with one of the professors, one girl recognized me from yesterday. She and I conversed for about an hour. She is very shy, but eager to practice her English. Other students stopped to meet me, and I talked with them as well.

Betsy and I went to the market to buy some groceries for me to keep in my room, and then we ate dinner at the hotel. I had a very delicious desert:


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Adventures Abroad: Teresa Travels All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.